National Knowledge Network (NKN)
NKN is a state-of-the-art multi-gigabit pan-India network for providing a unified high speed network backbone for all knowledge related institutions in the country. 1500+ institutes to be connected; connectivity to 774 institutes has already been provided.
- Ten (10) more institutes like medical colleges etc. are likely to be connected within next few months.
- For special interest groups, NKN enables Virtual Private Network (VPN)
- NKN provides international connectivity to its users for global collaborative research. Presently, NKN is connected to:
► Trans Eurasia Information Network (TEIN3)
► Similar connectivity to few other research networks is in the pipeline.
- The architecture of NKN has been designed for Reliability, Availability & Scalability
- The backbone connectivity of the network starts from 2.5 Gbps and progressively moves onto 10 Gbps between 7 Super core (fully meshed) locations across India.
- NKN services started in MP in the year 2010 and NKN-POP is operational since September 2011
- NKN-POP was inaugurated on 21st March 2012 by Hon'ble Minister of IT, GoMP
- As on now, 35 institutes of MP are connected from 100 Mbps to 1 Gbps